DeLaney Community Farm WIC Intern
DeLaney Community Farm: DeLaney Community Farm is Denver Urban Gardens' community supported agriculture (CSA) project in Aurora. DeLaney Community Farm staff, interns, and volunteers cultivate three and a half acres of organic vegetables, flowers, and herbs on historic farmland generously provided by Aurora Parks & Open Space.
The Farm’s goals are to provide healthy, locally produced food for people of all socio-economic levels and serve as an example of urban agriculture; use organic practices that protect our soil, water, air and wildlife; emphasize quality over quantity; and educate and reconnect people with the land that sustains them.
Intern Job Description:
We are looking for a motivated seasonal intern with a passion for sustainable urban farming and food systems, community building, efficiency and a willingness to do hard work in all kinds of weather. Sustained energy is essential to the farm’s success. It is an opportunity to learn hands-on, but you will learn the most as someone who is committed to your own education.
The WIC Program Intern will work with the Farm Programs and Outreach Coordinator closely on activities that include, but are not limited to:
- Attend and lead WIC Taste-Testing Demonstrations & Nutrition Clinics, as well as prepare for weekly clinics
- Lead and supervise WIC work days
- Occasionally supervise youth, adult, and community workgroups and volunteers
- Provide educational tours
Will work with the Operations Coordinator on activities that include, but are not limited to:
- Seed or transplant and cultivate vegetables, herbs, flowers, and other crops using organic practices
- Turn, build, and manage the compost system
- Well organized, self-motivated, creative, attention to detail, flexible, communicative and a high awareness of personal and farm safety
- High level of comfort with public speaking
- Ability to do outdoor, physically demanding work
- High comfort level in diverse settings and diverse communities
- Willingness to collaborate with DUG staff, Farm Staff, other interns, shareholders and community groups
- Training in program planning, implementation, administration, organic agriculture, and community outreach
- Working for an organization that benefits diverse communities
- Possible credit towards course work
- Organic produce
Note: No housing is offered.
Timeframe & Hours:
June 1st – September 30th; 10 hours/week: Tuesdays 8:45am – 12:00pm, Wednesdays 9:30am – 1:00pm, Saturdays 8:45 - 12:00pm
The deadline to apply is April 15th, 2012:
Please send resume, letter of interest, and three references to Heather DeLong, DeLaney Programs & Outreach Coordinator at email@example.com.