Free Seeds & Transplants
Through the Free Seeds and Transplants program, Denver Urban Gardens provides free vegetable seeds and transplants to more than 8,500 in-need residents throughout Metro Denver.
Please note that in 2016, due to recent changes in funding, fewer plants are available to each applicant. Additionally, we can only serve households whose annual adjusted gross income is below a certain level. See additional details below.
The application period for the 2016 program has passed. Click here to receive an email reminder for the 2017 program.
How the Free Seeds & Transplants Program works:
- Individuals and families interested in receiving free seeds and transplants can check to see if they are eligible to participate by reading the Frequently Asked Questions below.
- Eligible individuals and families can pick up applications from any of our 40 distribution centers. Applications for the 2016 program will become available at distribution centers beginning on Monday, January 4th. Click here for a list and map of distribution centers to find the one nearest to you.
- Applicants may apply to receive up to (7) seed packets and (4) two-packs of transplants, totaling (8) transplants.
- All completed applications are due to the same distribution center by the application deadline, Friday, January 29th. Click here if you would like to receive a reminder for the 2017 program.
- In mid-March, seeds are available for pickup from distribution centers. Transplants are available for pickup from distribution centers in mid-May.
- Group Applications: Denver Urban Gardens offers group applications to make the application process simpler for those applying on behalf of in-need groups such as schools, classrooms, educational organizations, human service oriented organizations, faith-based organizations, and community garden donation programs. Group applicants are eligible for a larger number of seeds and transplants per application. Denver Urban Gardens’ serves as a distribution center for both individual and group applications. Click here to learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Who is eligible to apply for the Seeds and Transplants program?
In-need individuals and families may apply for the Free Seeds and Transplants program. In-need groups are eligible to apply using our group applications. Income eligibility limits, based on total adjusted gross income for all members of your household, are as follows: