Mission and Overview: Denver Urban Gardens (DUG) is an independent nonprofit organization that has come alongside community members to build and support community gardens throughout Metro Denver for 30 years. DUG offers neighborhoods the essential resources for community gardens, including ongoing technical expertise with:
- securing sustainable land for gardens;
- designing and building gardens;
- supporting garden organization, leadership, outreach and maintenance;
- utilizing gardens as extraordinary places for learning and healthy living; and
- linking gardens with related local food system projects and policy.
Denver Urban Gardens currently operates over 150 community gardens, including 40 school-based community gardens. In addition, DUG operates DeLaney Community Farm (an urban community farm), the Master Composter Training Program, the Master Community Gardener Training Program, the Free Seeds and Transplants Program, and provides extensive opportunities for youth education in nutrition and gardening.