Denver Urban Gardens (DUG) was established in 1985 to support Denver residents in creating sustainable, food-producing neighborhood community gardens. In the past 35+ years, our network of community gardens has grown across six metro Denver counties, and our reach has extended to offering youth education and community training programs, as well as providing access to seeds, seedlings, and resources to build community resilience by growing local, fresh, organic food.
We currently operate more than 180 community gardens throughout Metro Denver, including more than 70 school-based community gardens. In addition to building and supporting community gardens, we operate DeLaney Community Farm, the Master Composter Training Program, the Master Community Gardener Training Program, Grow a Garden, and provide extensive opportunities for youth education in nutrition and gardening.
Position: Marketing and Communications Intern
DUG is looking for someone passionate about urban gardening to join the team and assist marketing and communications efforts. This position is an excellent opportunity to learn, practice, and grow your skills across various areas within non-profit marketing and communications.
In this role, you can expect to:
- support in creating new content and maintaining DUG’s social media presence
- assist in planning, writing and managing programmatic and fundraising communications in Mailchimp
- draft and publish news releases, media alerts, and other stories for our blog
- assist with the design of flyers, graphics, and other marketing material
- update and edit content on DUG website (using WordPress)
- film, edit and publish short educational videos with support of our Education team
We’re looking for someone with:
- a strong understanding of DUG’s mission and a passion for our work
- experience with social media management (personal or organizational)
- good attention to detail and an understanding of effective writing practices
- the ability to communicate in a professional manner with our team and community members
- a drive to learn and an interest in learning new things
- good organizational skills and the ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
Position open until filled, requires 3 – 6 month commitment. Hours: 8 – 12 hours/week, remote.
Compensation: This is an Unpaid/Volunteer internship.
To Apply: Please send your resume and a personal introduction that explains why you’d like to intern at DUG to Niko Kirby, Director of Marketing and Communications, at email@example.com.
Denver Urban Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic, background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.