Free Seeds & Transplants Program
Through the Free Seeds and Transplants program, Denver Urban Gardens provides free vegetable seeds and transplants to more than 6,000 in-need residents throughout Metro Denver.
Click here to receive an email reminder for the 2015 program.
How it Works:
- Individuals interested in receiving free seeds and transplants can pick up applications from any of our 39 distribution centers. Click here for a list and map of distribution centers to find the one nearest to you.
- Applications for the 2014 program were due on January 31st. Click here to receive an email reminder when applications for the 2015 program are available.
- After participants pick up their application, they should return their completed application to the same distribution center by the application deadline. Denver Urban Gardens processes the applications and fills the orders once all applications have been received.
- In mid-March, seeds are available for pickup from distribution centers. Transplants are available for pickup from distribution centers in mid-May.
- Group Applications: Denver Urban Gardens offers group applications to make the application process simpler for those applying on behalf of schools, classrooms, educational organizations, human service oriented organizations, faith-based organizations, and community garden donation programs. Group applicants are eligible for a larger number of seeds and transplants per application. Denver Urban Gardens' serves as a distribution center for both individual and group applications. Click here to learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Who is eligible to apply for the Seeds and Transplants program?
In-need individuals and families may apply for the Seeds and Transplants program. In particular, fixed income seniors and low-income families are encouraged to apply. Gardeners who are growing for food banks or food assistance programs are also encouraged to apply. Groups are eligible to apply using our group applications.
- Are the seeds and transplants intended for home or community gardens?
Both! The Free Seeds and Transplants Program is intended to provide all eligible applicants with free seeds and transplants for use in their garden, whether it’s a backyard garden at their home or a community garden in their neighborhood.
- How many applications may I submit each year?
Participants may submit one application per household.
- If I applied last year can I participate in the program again the following year?
Yes! Residents in-need are encouraged to apply each and every year.
- When will applications be available for the 2015 season?
Applications for the 2015 program will be available in January, 2015 from your nearest distribution center. Click here to receive an email reminder when applications for the 2015 program are available.
- Where should I pick up my application?
Applications are available at distribution centers. Click here for a list and map of 2014 Distribution Centers.